On the train to the airport, I kept trying to start this post with a witty phrase about making this delicious and simple pizza after the holiday busyness is over. But it seems I couldn’t quite find the right words. Maybe it’s because I was flying to San Diego for a much anticipated Christmas with my little sister Heather and her family. Then I realized I’m bring silly and “organizing” things and not everything fits into a neat tidy box. So make this whenever you want! Eat it as dinner for breakfast like my sister Rachel loves to do. (It’s not uncommon for Rachel to say she had leftover Mexican food for breakfast and scrambled eggs for dinner.)
Rachel is always winning contests and getting things for free. She often passes things on to me, including a short subscription to Rachel Ray Everyday. So far, I learned a few things I’ll use for a long time. First, there are so many delicious ways to BBQ corn (one of my all time favorite foods!). Second, why roast just one chicken when you could roast two and have leftovers. Brilliant!
A few days ago, I stuffed myself with an entire juicy, succulent Cornish game marinated with Spiced Pear Butter, Pinot Noir and Big Tony Brown Marinade. I had one left, so what to do with it? Since Big Tony Brown and his wife Lori are so good to me, I had a jar of Spicy BBQ sauce on hand. The recipe is simple and quick…yay!
- Premade pizza crust (I like Trader Joe’s premade crust the best)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup Big Tony Brown Spicy BBQ sauce
- 1/2 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups roasted chicken, Cornish game hen or turkey
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Drizzle olive oil on baking sheet
- Use your hands or roll out the dough on baking sheet
- Brush Big Tony Brown Spicy BBQ sauce over dough
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Add red onion, bell pepper and chicken
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Consider enjoying a simple salad with romaine, lettuce, oil and vinegar while the pizza is cooking
- Slice and enjoy!
After the fun and mayhem of Christmas festivities, I’m officially sick. It could be the over-scheduling fun. Or perhaps a visit to Disneyland. The happiest place on earth is also a great place to catch the flu. Poor Gracie was not feeling well at Disneyland, but she hung in like a trooper. Either way, I’m enjoying this easy to make, delicious pizza tonight.