Chef Lily likes to stay up on current cooking techniques and experimenting with new ideas. In this recipe, we created a gluten free option from a recipe favorite. With a great base recipe, using coconut flour instead of wheat flour is an obvious choice.
Coconut flour is not only gluten free but also grain free. It’s high in fiber and protein. If you’ve never baked with coconut flour, it’s not a one to one ratio with wheat flour. A little coconut flour goes a long way. Nuts.com is a great resource for Organic Coconut flour. This recipe has been tailored to specifically address the changes needed for a successful cooking using coconut flour.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup flake coconut
- 1 cup apricot preserves (1 jar Aunt Becky’s Apricot Fruit Spread)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups coconut
- 1/2 cups chopped or sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine crust ingredients in a bowl and stir
- Grease 9×9 pan
- Spread crust mixture into pan
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until set
- Spread Aunt Becky’s Apricot Fruit Spread over crust
- Combine topping ingredients in a bowl and stir
- Spread the topping over the apricot layer
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brow
- Use a spoon to scoop a piping hot portion in to a bowl and top with vanilla ice cream. Do it right away!
- Cool the rest until room temperature then cover and refrigerate before cutting into squares.